temptation...
i was recently tempted to rejoin facebook. it was a subtle temptation and then of course, the way my mind works.. it just took off. I'm struggling with the decision, but I have rejoined - for my program at CSULB. they post clinic updates and hours on FB. something that i am trying to avoid but has become a necessary evil. on the one hand, I only have 1 friend - the CSULB Ed Clinic. :)
my friend suggested I FB once a week - to catch up with the world and also so the world can catch up with me. VERRRRY tempting. any thoughts? to my 3 readers out there - at least three, i know that for SURE. i've also realized i'm totally cut off from people - and that most people do not like having conversations over the phone anymore due to the constant streaming of facebook and twitter. i get lots of "oh i'll catch you on fb" comments - or better yet "oh i forgot you're not on fb, so you didn't know" comments... interesting. but yet, that's where i'm at.
on the plus side - my productivity level has increased tremendously.
so i end this post with this permeating question:
should i go back on FB once a week? am i really missing out on that much?
just keep it off your phone and check it at home in the evenings. :)
ReplyDeletegood plan. :) how are you? i miss you.
ReplyDeletethat's a tough question... I totally keep up with people on facebook... With four kids and a full time job, I find it so hard to connect with people... it has made me a bit lazy tho in emailing and keeping in touch with friends via calling and checking in routinely... I just have no time to sit still for long stretch... but on the other side I can see without boundaries it can suck you in and become addictive and obsessive... Sue Lee is very good at limiting her facebook time... She knows that she needs self-control and it seems to be working for her... You should email her and ask her about it.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog and facebook... it lets me into your life... :)
hi allie - i'm deeply considering your proposal :) if i come back to FB, i will be going online sunday evening. hahaha, for no more than 1hr! :) i'll give it a test run this weekend or the next...
ReplyDeletei think once a week for one hour is good. definitely keep it off your phone! :)
ReplyDeleteyou have another reader! i check up on your blog at work when i have nothing to do...haha. an hour of fb in the evening is safe. what's NOT safe is when you get notifications in your email every day b/c then it stays a distraction. if you get rid of your wall (amazing how lazy people are, myself included - if there's no wall it's like there's no communication...msgs are reserved usually for serious/private topics) and remove notifications sent to your email, an hour a week should be safe. just speaking one fb addict to another :)
ReplyDeletegood point about the wall thing, Laura. But, if i'm gonna do FB, I GOTTA do the wall. :) hahaha. actually, it's a good place for me to ask mom's questions about things i need & suggestions that could be made. i get NO e-mail notifications and i'm not searchable, so it's really my fault i'm totally addicted :D
ReplyDelete